Series Name: My Early Learning Series
This book can be used with young children to develop the following skills:
• recognition of colours
• recognition of basic shapes
• recognition of subject-specific vocabulary
How to help:
• Identify and name shapes in the student’s environment.
• Compare different shapes; looking for similarities and differences.
• Discuss the properties of shapes, e.g. a square has four sides of equal length
• Ask leading questions, e.g. Which shapes are good for stacking on top of each other? Can a triangle roll?
• In Art, make people, animals, etc from shapes.
• Make play dough models of shapes
• Create a collage of shapes
• Use the stickers and progress chart to encourage completion of each page.